Our Lady of Fatima Patch The National Catholic Committee for Girl Scouts and Camp Fire, a constitutive member of the National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry, offers a special 2017 patch for youth in grades K-12 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the apparitions of the Blessed Mother to the three young children of Fatima.
The patch activities below are designed to teach participants about the wonderful events that occurred at Fatima and the special message of Our Lady of Fatima to the entire world.
Participants are encouraged to:
Grades K-1 – complete 3 of the following
Grades 2-3 – complete 4 of the following
Grades 4-6– complete 5 of the following
Grades 7 and above – complete 6 of the following
***All participants should complete requirement #1
1. Read a book, story, or article in a Catholic magazine about Our Lady of Fatima. Tell in your own words (Grades K-3) or write two or more paragraphs (Grades 4 and above) to explain what happened in Fatima in 1917. Be sure to include where Fatima is located, the names of the children to whom Our Lady appeared, and what message Our Lady offered to everyone.
2. Watch a movie about Our Lady of Fatima. Share with your troop, friends or family some of the scenes in the movie that were especially beautiful to you.
3. The children of Fatima prayed the rosary daily. Learn about and pray the Glorious mysteries of the rosary. Grades 7 and above are encouraged to travel to a Marian chapel or shrine to complete this activity.
4. Mary taught the children several prayers. Learn and pray two of those prayers.
5. The children were tending sheep when Mary appeared to them. Jesus called himself the Good Shepherd who loves his flock. Choose a hymn that refers to that shepherd imagery and discuss with your troop, friends or family how the words of the hymn express the love and care Jesus has for us. Some hymns you might consider are Shepherd Me, O God; Shepherd of Souls, Refresh and Bless; Like a Shepherd He Feeds His Flock; The King of Love My Shepherd Is.
6. Two of the children of Fatima were canonized as saints this year (2017). Find out more about the Mass and the canonization ceremony. Where was this event held? Who were some of the people present? Who spoke about the children during the homily? National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry: Catholic Religious Recognitions - Our Lady of Fatima Patch
7. Learn about Jacinta and her special delight of flowers. Do something nice for someone with flowers.
8. Lucia became a Carmelite nun. Learn about the Carmelite order and discuss with your troop, friends or family what Lucia's life might have been like among the Carmelites. Where did Lucia live with her Carmelite family? When did she pass away? Has the Church declared her a saint?
9. Learn about Francisco. He had a love for nature and animals. Complete a project involving nature or animals.
10. Because the children of Fatima were shown a vision of heaven, complete an art project of your choice that shows your vision of heaven.
11. The children were taken to prison because they refused to renounce their vision. As a Work of Mercy, pray for those in prison.
12. Learn more about the miracle that took place on Oct 13, 1917.
Resources Online sites:
Articles (Catholic magazine articles that are currently available online):
The Day the Sun Danced: The True Story of Fatima (available from various vendors, also on Netflix)
Prayers of Fatima: