How AI Will Impact Tomorrow's Design Field—and How We Can Continue to Thrive Despite It
Wednesday, May 03, 2017: 4:45 PM - 5:30 PM
Machine learning and artificial intelligence, and how they’ll impact our design work and design experiences.
The robots are coming! The robots are coming! They’re coming, but not to battle Will Smith in yet another summer science fiction blockbuster. It’s automated design, machine learning. How close are we to seeing artificial intelligence taking on design jobs, and what does it mean for the rest of us—the human designers? Will machines do some jobs better, and if so, are we okay with that? Who—or what—will win, and why?
- how digital tools and machines are currently disrupting—and will later disrupt—the design practice, for better and worse
- how designers can become part of the solution and work hand-in-hand with machines, rather than being part of the problem
- identifying the tasks that humans do better than machines and how we can do them even better, to deliver even more value
- identifying how designers can use automatons and machine learning in their own creative routines
- where empathy comes in, and why it’s something the machines may not be able to do—or be able to do well