Stage Managers' Association
Welcome to the Stage Managers’ Association (SMA). Please visit us at booths 1519/1521to ask questions, meet the leadership and discover resources and programs supporting stage managers and our profession:
Are you a career stage manager, an aspiring one? Come check out the SMA
The Stage Managers' Association the United States is the only national organization of professional American stage managers who work in theater, dance, opera, special-live-industry-events, world-wide.
The purpose of the SMA is to promote, advocate for, award, recognize and provide continuing educational opportunities for professional stage managers across the United States.
Through symposia (A View from the Wings conferences), continuing education and lecture series and stage manager gatherings nationwide and in the New York area, its website, and regional activities, the SMA seeks to create a network through which stage managers can share ideas, educate themselves, and build strong relationships.
Among the benefits of membership
1) We send hundreds of job openings directly to our members, annually
2) Provide a wide range of resources including SM Observations, career mentoring, stage manager articles, how to's and Forums
3) National Stage Management Recognition with the Del Hughes Award event and other awards each year
4) Offers a full library of career stage manager and professional podcasts and oral biography series of prominent stage managers
5) Producing the first National Stage Management Conference: The Collaborators Conference in Cleveland October 2020
Although the SMA is not a labor union (it is a union agnostic, professional association), its membership includes those in AEA, AGMA, AGVA, AFTRA, IATSE and DGA, among other entertainment industry unions, as well as non union, career-minded stage managers.
Brands: A View from the Wings; Stage Mgr History recordings, Operation Observation, SMA GO out nights, National Stage Mgrs, Collaborators Conference, Oct 2020