MDF is dedicated to the following goals:
- To restore, improve and protect mule deer habitat (including land and easement acquisitions) resulting in self-sustaining, healthy, free ranging and huntable deer populations.
- To encourage and support responsible wildlife management with government agencies, private organizations and landowners.
- To promote public education and scientific research related to mule deer and wildlife management.
- To support and encourage responsible and ethical behavior and awareness of issues among those whose actions affect mule deer.
- To support regulated hunting as a viable component of mule deer and black-tailed deer conservation.
- To develop programs that focus on recruitment and retention of youth into the shooting sports and conservation.